Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Yeah, it's been awhile. Sorry. Also, I will fix this template very soon. I accidentally uploaded this while I was working on something else. My mistake.

So I got back from London, came through Waco to see my shugah and grab my snowboard, then it was off to Colorado for a few days of snowboarding. Snowboarding was fun, but because of a dry winter in America it was not the best conditions I've ever encountered. So, after two days on the mountain, I decided to make a full-blown road trip out of my free time instead of simply a snowboarding trip. I left the mountain early and drove to Boulder, where I promptly got a hotel room and fell immediately to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and went to breakfast at The Buff, which I was told was the best breakfast in Boulder. I was not disappointed. It was a close race, but the Buff's omellette just barely beat out the Mexican guy at the Dallas Embassy Suites. I also experienced my first Mimosa, and it felt very classy to be drinking it. Champagne for breakfast? Yes sir. With my orange juice, if you please.

Then it was coffee with my old Zelda buddy, Matt Sidor. Hoorah for longstanding internet friendships, even if I am the absolute worst when it comes to keeping up with people. But at least I knew he was living in Boulder now, right? Eh? That's something, innit? Huh? Maybe not. Anyway, it was cool to see Matt.

So from there, I was going to just drive home, but then when I got to Denver I made the sudden and resolute decision to turn around and drive to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I don't know where this urge came from, and there's really not a good explanation for it. But I followed through, drove to Cheyenne and got some pictures at the state capitol. It wasn't particularly impressive, but I guess it was kinda cool.

Fun facts about Cheyenne:
Cheyenne is the smallest of all of the state capitols, with a population of only about 50,000.
Even though Wyoming is the 9th largest state in terms of land mass, it is dead last in population size, with only 501,000 residents. This is both sad and humorous all at the same time.
The state mammal is the bison.
The state bird is the western meadowlark.

Anyway, after leaving Cheyenne, I had no particular goal in mind. In order to increase my "states visited" count, I went ahead and turned right into Nebraska. And by the way, Nebraska is boring. Boring, I say. I hit "scan" on my radio, and the dial went to one radio station, then circled THE ENTIRE DIAL before coming right back to the same radio station. In short: southwestern Nebraska has exactly one radio station. This makes me sad for Nebraskans.

I stopped in Cozad, Nebraska and got pictures for my roommate. The joke here is that this last name is Cozad. It's pretty hilarious if you think about it, really. Not "hey, did you hear about the horse in the bar and the long face and all that business" funny, but still funny.

After consulting my atlas and calling my dad for some quick Googling, I discovered that I was a short three hour drive away from the geographical center of the United States of America. Or at least, the lower 48 states. For the entire US, I would have had to go into South Dakota, and I was already too far south to be able to commit to such a drastic change of direction. Plus I was in a poopy mood and tired of driving. So I set course for Lebanon, Kansas, where I saw the most pathetic attempt at a tourist attraction I will ever see. A flagpole, a chapel that's smaller than my desk, and a hand-painted plywood sign are all that is there to mark the geographical center of America. I wasn't expecting much, and man was I ever not disappointed.

Luckily there was the world's largest ball of twine only twenty minutes away. That made me giggle like a wee child.

Anyway, after that I headed back to Waco and there isn't much more to tell. Expect a survey tomorrow.

No comments: