Monday, January 23, 2006

So yesterday (Sunday), Bryan and I went and played some softball. Bryan's Costa Rican brother-in-law is from Venezuela, and in Venezuela baseball is the sport to play; therefore, there are many people who play softball as well. In Costa Rica, it's all pretty much soccer.

So we went to this park in San José with Guillermo, and lo and behold, there were a bunch of Venezuelans and a bunch of Nicaraguans. These two countries, it would seem, are rivals. So it quickly turned into a pickup game of Venezuelans vs. the "nicas." No joke, they call them nicas. And they were a cocky bunch of punks. Especially one guy that Bryan and I (or maybe it was just me) had dubbed "Purpleshirt Punkass." Purpleshirt was that guy on the team that everybody knows, that nobody can stand to be around, but nobody wants to tell them to go away because they won't do it anyway. I was playing catcher, and of the four time this guy went up to bat, he got out three times. He was lucky enough to score once, and I have no excuse for that. It made me sad. But that's okay, because the other three times he got out made me happy. This is why I am a bad person.

Anyway, the Venezuelans (and two Gringos, aka "us") ended up losing to the Nicas. But it was a fun time and I have little more to say about it.

Today was the first day with our new teacher. She speaks much better English than the last one did, but that's no help to us because she refuses to do it in the classroom. She's very ready with the praise, though, and that's nice.

Okay, I need to go. Adios.
-Juansito

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jaunsito -- does that mean little john? if so, it's adorable, if not, it still is (adorable)

is there a time change where you are - from central standard time here in the usa? if so, what is it?, if not, then i know it

i'm impressed with all your walking - - and your blogging
mucho goodo

Carmack said...

There is no time change, no. The clocks are all on central standard time.

And yes, Juansito means "little John." *laughs* I couldn't tell you why I've added it to my list of names I'll answer to, but I kind of like it.

Cameron Talley said...

Hey Carmack, what's up...

We're having a few issues with the K-Psi site..nothing that probably can't be solved with a reboot. I haven't gone into the room to see if you left a password, but if you didn't could you please email that to me? I obvioulsy don't want to reboot and get to the login screen without knowing the password.

Glad you seem to be enjoying your time in Costa Rica...I don't know Spanish, so auf weidersehen!