Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Some fun facts about my illness. This is the last you'll hear about it (until tomorrow when I find out what the diagnosis is).

Normally, one's white blood cell count is in between 4,000 and 11,000. Meaning 11,000 is above average; it's high. 11,000 is a lot.

Yesterday, my white blood cell count was measured at 26,600. So my immune system was kicking into super-high gear. The nurse who called me to tell me about the results seemed very impressed at my immune system, and even though I have no control whatsoever over that, I still felt a little proud.

While I was at health services yesterday, I had a fever of 103.5 degrees. This had me alternating between freezing and sweating all day. I was shivering while driving to Wal-Mart, even though it was in the nineties and I had the windows open. Later, while I was getting some doctor-prescribed bedrest, I produced enough sweat to soak through a pair of pajama pants, an undershirt, and my friggin' comforter. Seriously, it was like I had just taken the thing out of the washing machine, except instead of being springtime fresh it was sweaty and decidedly unfresh. If you're disgusted reading about it, then take the opportunity to realize that this story had to happen in order for it to be told. Needless to say, my night was not exactly improved.

So anyway, as I implied earlier, I don't know what I have yet. My blood test came back negative for mono, so that's a good thing. Right now they're thinking it's a bacterial infection of some kind, and my friend Kim is of the opinion that it's strain B of strep throat. There's ten dollars on the line, so I hope that she's wrong and I can win some cash off of this thing. That'd be sweet. And it would pay for my antibiotics!


Real quick, some bad news (just to preface the good news, thereby making for a light at the end of the tunnel): I still have a headache if I move too fast, and my throat is still sore enough to keep me from singing. I also can't get my appetite back, and that bugs me. I ordered some of my favorite food from Chili's today and could barely even start it. Frustrating.

On the much brighter side of things, my muscles and joints are no longer sore, my fever is gone, and I'm not confined to my bed anymore. This is all very good. I've spent most of my day inside anyway to avoid the heat, but having the option/energy to move around at all is pretty exciting after yesterday.

Thanks again for the comments/emails/IMs/facebook messages, everybody. I felt loved yesterday, that's for certain. You guys are great.

Okay, time to work on PowerPoint for church.

Listening to - A Beautiful Collision by the David Crowder Band

No comments: