Saturday, February 18, 2006

Sorry about the length of time between updates, I just really haven't had much to say lately. There's been class, there's been pool at El Coco, and that's really about it.

Today, though, I am in Dominical. Dominical is a beach on the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica, and our timing for getting here couldn't have been more perfect. The sun here sets very early, you see, I'm assuming because of the proximity to the equator (9 degrees north latitude, if you were interested), and also because there are mountains everywhere that the sun will often sink behind very quickly. So after taking buses for most of the day through the mid-southwestern part of Costa Rica, we got a Taxi in a city called San Isidro for the final 40 kilos to Dominical. As we were driving, we noticed the sun was just beginning to set behind the mountains, providing one of the most fantastic views I have ever seen (I know I've been using a lot of majorative language in my posts lately, but that's just because this country really is that beautiful).

Then, after watching the sunset behind the mountains, our taxi got past the last of the mountains and the road we were on opened up right onto the beach. So then we got to watch the sun set a second time, only this time over the ocean. Outstanding.

Along out journey yesterday, we met a new friend who calls himself "Jammin' Jim." He's an entertainer in Aspen who's taking some time off to do some backpacking in Costa Rica. Very cool guy. Here's his website, if you're interested:

Jammin' Juggling

So today I woke up pretty early while Bryan and Pete were asleep and went to swim in the ocean for a little bit; very cool. I'm not a fan of saltwater, really, but swimming in the ocean is just good times. I've thought about renting a surfboard and trying my hand at surfing, since everybody who sees me lately just kind of assumes I'm a surfer anyhow (long hair, fairly decent tan, good grammar but unusual language, and of course the baggy shorts). We'll see.

That's all for now. I'm sure there will be pictures eventually.

Listening to - Breakdown by Jack Johnson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a guy who kinda looked like you from the back in Collins yesterday. And when he turned around, it made me sad. Good to see you're having a good time in Costa Rica. See ya soon, bro.

AEA
Cobb

Anonymous said...

living life in the superlative.

ashlee

Anonymous said...

wow
mm mm
cool
'love to read your stuff, juansito
mucho gusto