Wednesday, February 22, 2006

If you do not want to read in Spanish, you might want to skip to the end.
-----
Este es mi primero tratado escribir una historia in mi "blog" solamente en español. Mi grammar posiblamente va a estar mal, pero yo voy a tratar. Si alguien se hablaba español muy bien y leia este, por favor coregame. Yo quiero estar mejor a español que otras gringos, asi quiero estar coregido. Solo asi ustedes pueden mejor el situaccion, yo lo estoy haciendo sin un diccionario. Entonces es dificil para mi.

Esta mañana, yo me levanta a las 7:40 a.m. y me vesti. Entonces, yo camine a la parada del autobus y llega a la escuela a las 8:20 a.m. Yo tomo un siesta pequeño antes de comemzaron las clases. Hoy es un buen dia. Hace mucho sol, y no hay mucho nubes. Me encanta la clima de Costa Rica, porque es muy agradable.

En los clases, Bryan y yo no aprendimos mucho hoy, pero nosotros hablamos con nuestro profesora mucho en español. Mas practica esta bien para aprender, y asi nosotros practicamos con frequencia. Hoy aprendimos tres or quatro frases tipica de Costa Rica, por ejemplo “Estoy detras un palo“ (I am behind a tree). Me cae bien nuestro profesora, porque ella muestre nosotros como se dice cosas como los Ticos.
-----

Okay, that's enough for now. I'm out of class for the day, and that's quite a bit of thinking to do while I'm trying to scarf my pizza at the restaurant I'm sitting in. I have no idea how well that will translate online, because I am lacking several very important keys on my English-layout keyboard. Most notably, the vowels with accents. For this reason, many of my verbs will not translate, most notably any use of past imperfect verbs (in English, "would do" or "used to do", or hypothetical situation verbs). As I said before, I did that without a dictionary or consulting my notebook, so there are likely several grammatical errors, and so a translation might not make much sense. But if a Tico were to read it, they would know why I was trying to say, and after only six weeks of Spanish in my entire life, I'd say that's quite the accomplishment.

"Fijame!"
-Juan

--
ps
I have read the Babelfish translation, and it is horrible. Trust me, my spanish is better than that, I'm just using a few idiomatic phrases that are not being picked up by the tranlator here and there, and it's adding unnecessary prepositions like crazy. Good luck with that translation, but again, please understand: it's not even close. This is one of the disadvantages of learning from Native Speakers: many of the things I say and understand only make sense when they are used in exactly the right context. I don't get up: I levitate from my bed. I don't get dressed, I myself put my clothes on me. I don't forget things, they forget to come with me. In Spanish, you don't do anything. Everything just kind of happens to you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. i'm impressed.

about juan's mountain sports closing --- it would seem that a snowboard rental place there would have a hard time - i mean, where can one snowboard? this is near the equator right?
still, it's sad when any store closes.
my sympathy

Anonymous said...

passivists...

Carmack said...

The snowboard shop is in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. My bad, I didn't make that very clear. You are correct in your assumptions about a snowboard shop in Costa Rica, though. Pretty much the only businesses that succeed down here are breweries, bars, and fried chicken joints. Take that as you will.

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhh
so there is a juan in pagosa springs!
small world
i guess all juans aren't south of the border

Dan Obregon said...

great job! i actually understood your entry!