Tuesday, February 28, 2006

So I always think to myself that I might give up something for lent, but I can never think of anything that I actually feel like giving up. It's like that year when my only New Year's resolution was to make New Year's resolutions the next year (I didn't). I'll probably think of something the day before Easter, tell myself I'll write it down later, then not do it.

Anyway, I stayed home from school today. I woke up around four o'clock this morning feeling like the guy from Alien (you know, the one who dies because of the alien living in his stomach; that guy), but I really couldn't tell you why. I haven't had any abnormal foods for the past couple of days, in fact everything I've had since returning from Puerto Viejo has been the same stuff I eat every single day. But regardless, my immune system has failed me yet again, and I am vaguely reminded of how mono once conquered me (see every single entry from last fall, and bow before the power of my ability to complain about stuff for weeks). I don't like being sick. Hopefully tomorrow will be a different story. I can only hope.

So tomorrow we finally finish reviewing old material and get our first fresh stuff in almost two weeks. We begin on the dreaded "subjunctive" tense, which doesn't exactly exist in English, but as far as I can tell is the polite way to give commands that would otherwise be rude. Kind of like the difference between saying "Go away" and "I would like for you to leave, please." At least, that's what I think it's going to be. I don't know for sure, because I haven't learned it yet. I'll get back to you on that one. I'm pretty excited to be getting back into new material; review is nice, because it helps me really get the hang of stuff we've covered, but sometimes it really seems a little unnecessary since it's all stuff that we had covered only a week before. So hooray subjunctive, long live the tense.

Okay, I'm headed back home to see if I can't get some sleep.
-Carmaque

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to be Talley-esque, Subjunctive isn't a tense, but a mood (indicative being one, imperative being another). Uses of the subjunctive can be summarized with W.E.I.R.D.O.-
Will/Wish: I wish I could go to Costa Rica
Emotion: It makes me sad that I'm stuck in Texas.
Impersonal Expressions: It's strange that I'm taking the time to type all of this crap.
Recommedation-this is kind of what you were talking about in your post about making commands more polite.
Doubt/Denial-It's possible that your mom is hot.
I doubt that I can keep writing crap for much longer.
Ojala-There's an accent on the final "a", it was originally an appeal to Allah, but is best translated as "I wish."

There are two clauses in subjunctive, typically separated by "que."

The first clause triggers the subjuntive and the second clause is actually in the subjunctive.

For example, "Ando en mi bicicleta despues de la cena" is in the indicative because it is merely informing someone about when you ride your bike. However, "Ojala que yo ande en mi bicicleta despues de la cena" is in the subjunctive mood, being triggered by the expression "Ojala que."

Conjugation in the subjuntive is tricky at first, but all in all, pretty straightforward.

-AR verbs:
hable hablemos
hables
hable hablen

ER/IR verbs
escriba escribamos
escribas
escriba escriban

And there are other rules for the weird ones, but I've kinda forgotten how to do those, and I would just screw it up. Also, you probably never wanted to hear this spiel anyway, so...goodbye

AEA,
Cobb

Cameron Talley said...

I'm not sure whether I should be proud or scared that I'm being used in a descriptive sense.

And BTW, I saw your assignment. It is AWESOME...