Thursday, June 26, 2003

You know, a couple of weeks ago I forgot to set my alarm clock for church. I woke up with only twenty minutes until church started, and by the grace of God I managed to convince myself that it was still worth trying to make it.

The timeline was as follows:

10:08 (ish) - Wake up. Roll around for a minute or two.
10:10 - Look at clock. Panic.
10:10:30 - Grab all the clothes in sight and run to the bathroom for a shower.
10:11 - Realize that I am out of clean towels.
10:12 - Start shower anyway, deciding to use my robe as a towel
10:17 - Finish shower, get dressed, fix hair, brush teeth
10:20 - Leave for church
10:22 - Realize I have forgotten my bible. Go back to get it.
10:24 - Leave apartment for the second time, this time armed with my bible.
10:28 - Arrive at an empty church parking lot. There is a sign in the window: "UBC is rennovating their sanctuary this summer! We will be meeting at Barry's coffe house. [address]
10:29 - This is where the remarkable things happen. Barry's is downtown Waco, and while I'm not far from there I'm not exactly one minute away either. In fact, on a regular day that would be about a ten-fifteen minute drive considering traffic and stoplights. Regardless, I decided that since I've come this far I should still go even though I'd be about fifteen minutes late. There have, after all, been worse tragedies.

However, when I started driving, the roads completely cleared. No traffic. Zero. Zip. And I didn't hit a single, solitary red light in between the church and Barry's. I'm not kidding: no cars, no red lights. It was the single most amazing thing I've ever experienced, traffic-wise. I've been wanting to tell the story ever since, but nobody ever brings up traffic miracles in casual conversation these days, so I've had to resort to putting it here. So, little Blog, thank you for listening to my story. But anyway...
10:34 - Arrive at church to find that the service is starting late anyway
10:40 - Church starts, and all was well with my soul.
11:45 - Lunch at McAlester's and even more is well with my soul.

And that's my traffic story. Thank you, goodnight.

No comments: