Monday, August 1, 2005

I tell you, when I first came to college I would have sworn up and down that I was a conservative and a Republican. Now, here we are, three years later, and I don't even think I can classify myself anymore.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I took this test after my freshman year of college and landed directly in the center of the compass. Neither left nor right, neither for nor against control of the government. I was the most opinionated ambivalent person you would ever have met.

Today, in between customers, I took the test again, and found that I had moved slightly (very slightly) towards libertarianism and anarchism. But only by about a half a point. I can't find the link, but I took another quiz before the last election and found that I agreed with Kerry on just as many issues I agreed with Bush. Point being: I am a male registered voter between the ages of 18-24 (supposedly a very important demographic, TV tells me), and I am apparently an undecided voter. So why on earth am I not getting more free stuff from politicians who want me to vote for them? I think I'm entitled to a little bribery every now and again, and so I would like to collect.

Politicians, convince me.

3 comments:

Carmack said...

I would be inclined to agree with you if I had been the only person to take the test, just because that would have fit my image of myself so much better. But the reason I had taken the test the first time was for my political science class freshman year, and since we took it over the summer (thus only had nine people in the class) we went over everybody's results. There were some seriously extreme people in that class, on both sides. Me and the left-handed girl who sat next to me were the only two people who were even close to the middle, and she had thought that she was a leftist.

Same story with the Bush-Kerry test, except that it wasn't a class so much as it was three or four other people in the library who confirmed that they were, in fact, Bush supporters, while I came up (once again) in the middle of the road.

The issues I side with Bush on are the ones I am more adamant about (abortion, for instance), but there are more issues I agree with Kerry on, and that's what balanced me out. So I misspoke when I said "just as many issues" in my post; I just figured it would be easier than saying all of the babble above.

Booyakasha.

Christina said...

Hahaha, AAAALLLLlllmost a serious post.

Christina said...

Hmmmm... question for later that is semi-unrelated. What are things people believe or support that you absolutely can not and will not tolerate?