Thursday, February 24, 2005

Man, it's a complete music nerd kinda day.

After coming back from musicianship, I was feeling like I would need something to soothe me into sleep so that I could have a nap since I don't excpect I'll get much sleep this weekend. So I threw a few Beethoven sonatas into a playlist, and while I was at it I went ahead and downloaded the 7th symphony from iTunes. Not exactly the kind of thing most people just do on a whim, but like I said... music nerd. So I put on the music, lay down on the ol' futon, and rather than get any sleep, I lay and analyzed the music I'm listening to. Doh.

For any who may be intersted, the opening progression in Beethoven's 7th Symphony, Movment II is as follows: i - V - i - VII - III - II - ii - I - i - V - i

After taking it to the piano, I now can tell you that this progression is in the key of A minor. And I think I left a few chords out, but I'm going to stick with what I've got, primarily because nobody who is reading this really cares that much. But if you'd like to correct me, feel free to leave a comment and do so.

--

Anyway, it's kind of a dreary day outside today, but I kinda like it. And for the life of me, I've typed and erased about twenty sentences trying to say why I like it, but I just can't seem to peg it. Every once in awhile a dreary, cold, blustery day just seems like a pretty cool thing. *shrugs* I dunno.

I'm not such a fan of the beginning. Too much waiting, too much trepidation; all these rules in a game that I hate to think I'm actually pretty good at. Surely there was a time when people could be straightforward, just lay everything on the table, and from there have the opportunity to go for it or just walk away. Nobody gets any false hopes, there's no time spent on a needless pursuit, nobody gets led on, it's just somebody saying, "Hey, you're cool, you're cute, I like you, let's hang out." and the other person saying in complete honesty either, "Hey, I feel the same way. Yes, we should hang out." or "Nah. I don't like blondes/your taste in music offends me/I've read your blog and you're kinda creepy" etc. ad infinitum. Just seems like that would work out much, much better than the system we have in place today.

Listening to - Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor ('Pathetique') Movement II. Adagio Cantabile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not going to comment on your music analyzing mainly b/c I don't know the first thing about analyzing it other than if I like it or not.

But, as far as the dreary day is concerned, it isn't so much dreary as cloudy. It rained and so everything is fresh and the air is crisp, which is nice that it is not in the 80's in Feb anymore. To me, it feels like a fresh, new day that is going to be fun filled. Which it has been. On an engineering nerd side note, I got a whole lot accomplished today on my robotics project and found some pretty cool software packages for MatLAB, which is what i am using to model my robot arm for class.