Thursday, July 10, 2003

Tonight we took a bunch of the campers to the Weatherford community pool for some summertime fun. I left my swim trunks in Hinton, so I just kind of went along to hang out by the pool and chat with the campers who went but didn't want to swim.

About half an hour before it was time to go, a kid from Hinton who's on my floor came up to me and said he'd pay me $100 to jump into the pool, just as I was. I looked down at myself, saw that I wasn't wearing anything of real value, and shook his hand. I threw my wallet onto the ground and ran off the diving board. Easiest hundred bucks I've ever made.

BUT... it appears that I have a conscience. Dang it.

As we were walking back to the dorms, I let myself start feeling guilty because I didn't really need the money. Also, as a counselor I really didn't feel like I was being a very solid example to the kids by taking the money. It just didn't feel right.

So when John came and held out the hundred dollar bill, I just told him not to worry about it. I've been kicking myself off and on for the last hour and a half about it, too. *laughs* I think I did the right thing, but an extra hundred bucks would have been handy when the bills came. Ah, well. Another day, another lesson, yadda yadda yadda.

Thank you, Goodnight.

Listening to - Them from Summer by All Star United

No comments: