Thursday, September 11, 2008

Five O'Clock and All's Well

I've had a hard time coming up with much to say in the past week. I've tried to post something about three or four times but each time ended up deleting the draft because I simply can't think of anything "worthwhile" to say. There's very little conflict in my world at the moment, and my biggest concern is memorizing music for auditions and the upcoming opera (more on that in a post coming within the next week). All things told, I'm a pretty happy camper and have been for some time now. And any student of literature knows that a protagonist without conflict is a story nobody's going to read for very long. So, even though I'm fully aware I'm not a character in a story, I have a hard time trying to communicate something that is (at the moment) not a terribly exciting narrative.

I've seen several of my friends on Facebook as well as several blogs post thoughts about today being the seventh anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center. Some of them have been quite poignant. There was the story of one guy who had just gotten out of drug rehab when the attacks occurred, and then used his newly-acquired zest for life to help those in need. It's a great read if you've got the time.

I have nothing so moving. I remember the whole day almost perfectly, from finding out what happened while I was in choir practice (when someone told us we turned on the TV and didn't get much done after that) to finally falling asleep at sometime after 3:00 in the morning. But it's nothing life-changing, so I can't attach much personal significance to it. I was saddened, sure, and I posed some philosophical thoughts that seemed deep to me at the time, but that's about it.

Mankind can be dark; in an attempt to seek God's (or in this case, Allah's) will, these men committed unquestionably evil deeds. This can lead to despair at the human condition, a feeling that it's hopeless to try to make anything better. It's the times we're tempted to give up that we are allowed to really show our quality.

"Sometimes, the bravest thing of all is to hope." - braveSaintSaturn

I leave you with this:



One of my very, very favorite songs, quite expertly combined with one of my favorite movies. I don't know who made this, but I love it. Well done.

Listening to - "Daylight" by braveSaintSaturn

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

I loved that song! I totally recognized the lead singer of Five Iron Frenzy in Brave Saint Saturn. I didn't know they existed until you mentioned it some time ago. I definitely should look more into their music. You know I'll love it.