Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm Low on Shaving Cream

Well... I did it.

Yesterday, before going to class, I took a shower as I always do. When I got out of the shower, I looked at my head in the mirror. My bright orange hair was frizzy from being towel-dried, giving my head the appearance of being on fire. I looked at myself. I mean, really looked at myself. And then, with the kind of sincerity one can only muster when talking to oneself, I narrowed my eyes and said out loud, "You look ridiculous." The face in the mirror seemed to agree.

So I grabbed my clippers. I regarded them for a moment, then set to work. After trimming the hair down to being only a couple of millimeters, I took a second to appreciate that my hair was an even brighter orange as I neared the scalp. Rather than dwell on this for too long, I grabbed my cream and shaving brush and set to work lathering up. The mixture of shaving cream, water, and badger hair was warm against my recently liberated scalp, and as I applied it to the area at the base of my neck it tickled a little bit. The razor was new, and sharp, and it did not bother my skin. It cut cleanly through the fine hair that was left, and for a few hours after I was done, the scalp was very smooth. Forty-five minutes after the begining of this paragraph, I looked like this:



Reaction so far is mixed.

I'm not going to shave it again; this was a one-time thing, I'm not interested in maintaining it as keeping the cue ball clean requires a whole lot of work. I would like to have my old, non chemically-damaged blonde hair back, and according to Wikipedia that will happen at a rate of about .46mm per day. That's about one centimeter per 20-21 days, or one inch every 45-48 days. I may keep a log just for fun. Probably not, but maybe.

8 comments:

caroline said...

it would be really funny if it grew back crazy curly.
That happens sometimes...

Carmack said...

Wait... seriously?

Oh dear...

N said...

..........gimme a minute.

N said...

You can definitely pass for Lex Luther. No fricking way anyone else is taking Clark Kent. I'm all over that....this is awesome.

caroline said...

you need a reaction box choice that says "what the WHAT?!'

Nancy said...

I agree with Caroline.

(Actually, if anybody can have a bald head, you can. Still, I vote for hair.)

Annie Sarah said...

I find that the whole crazy drama leading up to this post is hilarious. I think you should've stuck with orange for a while....
~Annie

shaving brush kit said...

Reaction so far is mixed.