Tuesday, July 26, 2005

So here I am, working at the bank. Every few days, it occurs to several of us at the exact same moment that it is time to get something to eat. Since we can't all leave for lunch at the same time, occasionally we will all just get together and order some carryout and send one person to bring it back to us.

Yesterday was one such day.

We decided that we would have Mexican food, and that our restaurant of choice would be Hinton's own El Charro Mexican Eatery. So I sent an email out to the group of employees called "Hinton," which in theory contains all of the employees of the Hinton branch and not anybody else. The email simply said that we would be having El Charro and that anybody who would like to place an order could simply email me back.

Now, every email we send is accompanied by a little flag that sends a "read receipt" when someone has opened your message. Very handy for knowing when your emails are being read and when they are not.

After sending my email, I received read receipts from everybody at the Hinton branch who was at work that day. I also received receipts from the following people:

Dave (marketing guy, stationed in Oklahoma City)
Brad (computer guy, also in Oklahoma City)
Terry (executive guy, who is not only in Oklahoma City but has never in fact worked in Hinton)
My dad (also an executive guy, who is also in Oklahoma City)
Pepper (works in Binger)

Pepper emailed me to ask if I would deliver to Binger. I almost sent an email saying, "Yes, but it will cost you eight hundred dollars." But then I figured that was way too much to charge and decided to simply say, "No, but you are more than welcome to come pick it up." We shared a laugh. It was magnificent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well im glad you are doing well... yes it does seem like an odd way of communicating. haha.