Monday, July 26, 2004

Well, I've got a paper to write, so of course I'm finding other things to do before it comes right down to the last minute.

I was thinking to myself that I should start writing music again, but I think the reason the music I wrote in the past always sucked so much was because I really didn't have anything to say with my lyrics. I would strum out some chord progression I liked, make up some weak little melody, and then slap on some crappy lyrics that I would write in about a day. Perfect recipe for suckage. The one song that I wrote that I can still stand to listen to is one that I didn't even write the lyrics for; it's based on a poem that was written by the girl I dated my senior year of high school (hi, Sarah!). It's solid poetry, and I really like the tune, but whenever I play it for people they just tune out. And I can see why, really; it's pretty repetitive, and you can only hear the same chord progression so many times before you're ready for something else.

But you would think that since I'm in college studying music practically 24/7, I'd be writing like a madman. This, however, is not the case. Since coming to school, I haven't written a single song. The closest I've come was my first semester here when I was thinking about writing a song about how awkward it was to have a gay roommate (even got as far as a nice chord progression... but then, same problem: shortage of lyrics that aren't high in suckitude). Since then, I've gotten over my homophobia but not my writer's block. But now that I think about it, I can't even call it writer's block; I never had anything to block in the first place. My experience in life, thus far, has just been normal. No suicidally depressing lows, no mind-blowing highs, just some stuff that sucked and some other stuff that was pretty cool. I've got no major political stances, no spiritual agenda, and no special insight into what God has to say to anybody else. Heck, I'm lucky if I can figure out what He's trying to say to me, and even if I could I doubt I'd want to lay it out in song for all the world to see/hear.

Okay, time to change the subject. If, for some strange reason, you have some great insight into this or simply would like to offer me a word or two of good advice, shoot me an email or give me a call and we'll talk. And if you have neither my email address or phone number, then how the heck did you find me here?

So Bryan and I went down to New Braunsfeld and went "Toobing" down the river. It was quite fun; we met Bryan's friend Carly, and her friend Nina, and we all went and got nice and cold in the river water. On our ride down the lazy river, we encountered a massive number of groups of inebriated individuals who had also decided to take advantage of the sunny weather and cold water. After all of that, all I have to say is this: after you reach a certain degree of largeness, you really should stop making that bikini. Sizes 0-18 is enough. Once you reach a size 44, you are no only encouraging a person of that size to wear such a thing, you're forcing everyone else on the river that day to see it. That kind of thing should be a crime. In fact, I'll bet it is a crime in Canada. Canada, after all, is awesome. And in an awesome country 300-pound women would almost certainly wear very large overcoats to swim.

Listening to - SE 101 by Ace Troubleshooter

1 comment:

Christina said...

"My experience in life, thus far, has just been normal. No suicidally depressing lows, no mind-blowing highs, just some stuff that sucked and some other stuff that was pretty cool. I've got no major political stances, no spiritual agenda, and no special insight into what God has to say to anybody else. Heck, I'm lucky if I can figure out what He's trying to say to me, and even if I could I doubt I'd want to lay it out in song for all the world to see/hear"

I can relate. A lot of my life I felt bad for feeling bad because I didn't have it as bad as others. Then you come to figure out that some stuff you dealt with isn't normal and actually is "bad" but that doesn't happen until after something really awful happens in your life. Be careful what you wish for, I suppose ;)