Monday, August 7, 2006

Since I was but a wee lad, people have warned me: "Don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry." This is good advice; it prevents impulse buys and gross overpurchases of foodstuffs, and I try to adhere to it as often as I can.

There is related piece of advice; one that the legions of wise people in my life have failed to pass on. I discovered the need for this tidbit while on a trip to Barnes and Noble tonight. It goes as follows: when you have been re-reading old books all summer, don't go to Barnes and Noble without either a) a game plan or b) a chaperone. I walked in looking for light reading. A popcorn book. Fluff. I walked out with an ambitious bag full of seven diverse books.

If I were to look at my book-buying spree as a trip to the mental nutrition grocery store, I could say that I've covered all of my basic food groups. I've got my carbohydrates (award winning fiction, good stories that tell about compelling characters; filling but not necessarily nutritionally important; in this metaphor, Empire Falls by Richard Russo), my dairy (information download sans interesting narrative; tasty and useful, but too much of it and I'm just stopped up and uncomfortable; 101 Things To Do With Your Private Pilot's License by Leroy Cook), fruit and vegetables (delicious and nutritious; good for mind and soul; Bird by Bird and Traveling Mercies, both by Anne Lamott), meat (make-you-think, change your perspective types of books; real protein; Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell), and finally, the junk food (a couple of Dan Brown books; that's right, suspense fiction by a popular writer; quiet, you, I'll bet you went to see MI:III in the first week, leave my Dan Brown alone). Altogether, a balanced literary diet to bring me into the upcoming fall semester. Much excitement to follow.

Still loving my Cubs hat. I wear it entirely too much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've discovered the public library. i refuse to buy fiction books at borders, only discount craft and cookbooks. after reading in the library then i now whether i'm so in love with a book that i need to buy it.
-ashlee

Anonymous said...

the disappearance of john-first you let facebook eat your blog. then you rescued it and abandoned it all at the same time. i miss reading your witty perspectives on life and everything else. please come back.
-ashlee

Anonymous said...

either you have:
a) decided you don't like posting on your blog site anymore
or
b) nothing is happening in your life of note
or
c) not enough time to tell us anything cuz you're way too busy

which is it? (i can handle the truth.)

- mg